MALLORY MORTENSEN

MALLORY MORTENSEN

.

.

8.11.2014

Week 6

Okay so let me just start out by saying that I get asked out on more dates and a missionary than I have ever before in my life. I guess this is good because I'm getting really a lot better at saying no! Those who are friends of mine know how terrible I am with this hahaha sister boudesocque just laughs every time it happens. So heres one funny story. We were just finished up district meetings and then after that we have like an hour for lunch so we all went out to eat and this place near by. it was average. like an east coast cafe rio. so all us missionaries are heading out to the parking lot to leave and then this guy is walking over to me and he says "I dont wanna look stupid or anything but i have a question" and I was like "whats your question??" thinking that its like who in the world are you guys or why are you wearing nametags or the usual. But then he says, in front of my WHOLE zone, "will you go on a date with me?" I feel like the whole zone was just like waiting for me to respond and here I am the new greenie hahaha so I just said "aww thats so nice of you! but I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and I gave up all of that and left my family and school behind for 18 months to share the gospel" and then I quickly changed topics by asking him about his religion or something and he was like well I have a bible! and he pulled a bible out of his backpack thing. So then I was like "wow thats awesome! Youre half way there!!" I dont think he really appreciated that much. He wouldnt accept the book of mormon we offered him but hows that for a funny story. my zone just makes fun of me now hahaha. OH AND ONE MORE THING. So in all the mission cars there is this thing called a Tiwi and every time you go like 5 miles over the speed limit it says "CHECK YOUR SPEED" and lets just say thats its taking some time for me to adjust to having to drive 65 on the freeway. I'm having dreams that consist of the phrase "CHECK YOUR SPEED" 
So a couple things about this week! I have made an observation. The more I contact during the day, the happier I am and the more energy I have. So what we have been doing is trying to talk to everyone and then guess what happens, people have started coming up to us! I swear the majority of people in Princeton have english as a second language. We were teaching a less active outside of his home and this man and his two super cute daughters walked by and they were from Germany and had only been here for like a month! and then when on of our appointments juked us and we heard another language and we both thought it was spanish coming from the neighbors so we knocked on the door and they answered and they were Egyptians! The husband was wearing this giant like dress thing and it was like a mini party they were having cause he just got out of the hospital because of a heart attack and they invited us in and give us some coconut things and gave us thing mango drink and everything. This random things happen all the time. we asked to leave them with a prayer after talking to them for a little bit, and they asked if they could do their prayer. It was like this super intense chant and song thing in egyptian so that was definitely a new experience. 
Another thing that happened was when another appt juked us, (all too often people) so we tried the neighbors. Sister Boudesocque has taught me a few great clues to know if the house has spanish people are not. If the cable dish thing has 3 prongs and if there are a lot of plants just all over the place. This man opened and he was hispanic! so we were talking to him and asked him if we could share a message with him about jesus christ. he said of course and let us in! he was from Puerto Rico! I told him that my dad served his mission in Puerto Rico and he was like where are missionaries like you in other places? we replied yes!! we are just about everywhere!! He is sooo awesome and was so receptive. He was super interested in the Book of Mormon and kept saying, yes i'll read it I want to read it and kept asking us questions like, do you know what happens after this life. I just wanted to reach over and hug him. we told him that the evidence of the truthfulness of our message and the answer to all of our questions is right there in his hands! We set another appt with him and we asked him why he let us in in the first place. He said that we seemed really nice and that he felt like he really needed too. 
thats how you know people are prepared. When the spirit touches them, they follow the prompting and they let us in. 
One more cool thing. So we had exchanges this week with our sister training leaders! I was with sister Pack and she is so awesome! We had so many truly amazing experiences. I went up to her area with her which is an english area. I'm not gonna lie, I wondered for just a moment why in the world I was called to speak spanish! It was so nice to be able to understand every word they were saying and not thinking about little grammar things and stuff. But then one of the members found out I was with her and spoke spanish and referred us to one of her neighbors that only speaks spanish. So we went over there and I went solo folks. What a blessing it is to be able to learn another language. Everytime I wonder, wait a second... why was I, mallory mortensen, called to speak spanish, the thought always pops back into my mind, the Lord needs me the be able to speak spanish in the future. It is such a blessing to be doing this work. I love it people. LOVE IT.
one of our investagadores Ulises! ( we thought we was moving away but turns out hes not but we took a picture with him just in case)
Meeting with with our sister training leaders, Sister Pack and Sister Collins!

Transfer cleaning calls for some frozen pizzas and self timer pics feat. our colorful couch



for our zone activity today we went down to the Princeton stadium and played some ultimate frisbee. I think I missed my calling in life. I love Ultimate frisbee. Yes I am wearing basketball shorts. Yes this is just one of the many miracles that have occurred here on the mission

1 comment: