MALLORY MORTENSEN

MALLORY MORTENSEN

.

.

6.03.2014

Week 3

Ahhh i cannot even believe its been a week since i last wrote you guys! It honestly just goes by faster and faster. I think it also has to do with the fact that I am so excited and anxious to actually get to New Jersey! The CCM is the greatest thing though because I have probably taught at like 25 lessons at this point all in spanish and im only halfway done! I just cannot wait to get to New Jersey though. I pray for those people every day and teaching fake investigators just isn't the same as real people you know? any way. to start off with my week,
Well last pday I told you guys about the mouse. Well that tuesday night we got back to our casa and it smelled really bad so we were like what the heck. and then I go over to my bed and my shirt was laying on my bed cause i was gonna iron my shirt when what was on my shirt? mouse poop. and then in was in ALL FOUR of our beds. like under the sheets and everything. So then we start freaking out cause the dreaded mouse in just taunting us. Then I see it (again. why do i have to be the one who sees is every time what is this hahah) and so we close the bathroom door on it. anyway we called the reception desk and we were like "tenemos un raton in nuestra casa ayudanos por favor" they probably thought we were such pathetic americanas. but the two nicest guys came and straight up and... well ill just say... they took care of business. ANYWAY they even asked if we wanted them to pose for pictures hahah too good. well thats all for the animal update. No mice to date.
This week is honestly all such a blur! So ill just share one quick teaching experience. So our teacher Hermano Silva (i seriously love him) made us necklaces of shame and we have to wear them everywhere. Its acutally helpful though cause all the natives like to practice their english with us but now they have to speak to us in spanish hahah okay so anyway.we were teaching our teacher who was pretending to be an investigator and his name is Danny. Its super stressful teaching your teacher cause you dont wanna mess up and its like kinda awkward cause hes pretending to be someone else. anyway. he is 16 and he was telling us about his situation. He has a really strained relationship with his brother because of his drug abuse. oh and he had been reading the book of mormon and praying about it and was having a hard time receiving a spiritual witness of it. anyway, he were telling him how the spirit cannot dwell in an environment with contention. the thought popped into my head to ask him if he loved his brother. I thought to myself wow thats kinda an awkward question and i dont know where the heck ill go with it but okay. So i asked him and he paused for a really long time and Danny (my teacher) started to get emotional. I couldn't believe it. hermano silva doesnt cry. after a long pause he said he didn't know. I told him that Christ has taught that the first commandment is to love God and to love all of his children. That includes his brother. And in order for him to receive a spiritual witness and to know the this gospel will bless his family, he first has to pray to love and strengthen his brother. After i said it I couldn't believe it! the spanish I was studying came to me when i needed it! and then we asked him to end the lesson with a prayer and it was the most emotional heartfelt prayer and i have ever heard. My eyes were watering! Hermano silva later told us that the part he was playing was his 16 year old self. we had no idea he was a convert and he is still struggling with his brother today. It truly is so amazing how the spirit works. With just little thoughts that come. 
Oh and fun fact: fast sunday was this week so it was fast and testimony meeting. we only have like 14 people in our zone so I knew I was going to have to go up and the spirit was pumping. and so i went up there and could not for the life of me tell you what i said. when i speak its hard for me to remember what i say in english let alone spanish. ANYWAY i sat back down and my comp looked and me and said "you're spanish has seriously improved soooo much" i could have almost cried. That was the best thing for me to hear. And my branch president said my spanish was beautiful! Like what the heck? hahah truly a miracle. plus hours and hours of endless study. Im hoping ill be like the worlds best student when i get back from the mish hahah 
I love this work. I am so lucky to be apart of something this amazing. So yeah I cant really think of anything else to say! just that i love you all and look forward to hearing from all of you dear friends and family! You are all the best. 
Me with my necklace of shame :)
The people that saved us from the mouse
Me & mouse droppings
Hermana Materihan


No comments:

Post a Comment