MALLORY MORTENSEN

MALLORY MORTENSEN

.

.

7.21.2014

Week 4

Hi! These week has been something else. So first of all for the weather. When it rains it pours. Like heavy warm raindrops and then it turns into some hail and then its like full on hurricane. And then the theres so ligheting and GUESS WHAT and saw lighting strike a tree. That was pretty exciting. I dont know what it is with me but I have the worst luck with housing. This week we have 20 bees fly in through the ventilation, I have no idea how and they came into our room! I prayed SO hard that we wouldnt get stung. Direct blessing: I didnt get stung. but yeah major stress. when they fly in they die cause their wings are broken. They have all been terminated. Bees better not mess with me for a while. 
I'm not gonna lie, this week was hard. People are quick so say yes and then over time they just totally lose interest and then totally start to avoid us! I dont like people avoiding me! So we went from 8 baptismal dates to 2 and about 5 other progressing to 2. Its really hard for me to drop people because, I guess its because Im a fresh and naive missionary, I just want everyone to embrace and love this gospel the way I do right now! But I know that there are people out there that the Lord has prepared to accept and act on this message, all we have to do it find them. So we have our english class and thats really good for finding people! We get a good amount of people coming to our class and its so fun. We taught about how to talk about your family and I know I say this every time, but I just love my family!! I brought a picture of my family to show as I talked about them. Fun fact: I had the smallest family in the whole class! All of them are from guatamala and have like 8-12 siblings! One of the funniest things to teach is "its nice to meet you!" thats one of the hardest things for them to say! I must agree that mucho gusto is much easier. 
Okay so heres for some awesome experiences this week. On tuesday we went to visit with an investagador and she was still struggling with stopping coffee. We were teaching and teaching and she was telling us a lot about everything shes going through right now and how its really hard to answer all her daughters questions like "why do people kill themselves" or "why does that man have one arm". Shes a  Single mom, and twin 7 year old daughters with special needs. As we were teaching I kept feeling impressed to promise her that if she stops drinking coffee, the spriit will help her know exactly what to say to her daughters and help her to be a better mom. I kept thinking, well let me think about how to say it in spanish first and this impression just kept coming. So i just opened my mouth and I promised her this promise as a representative of Jesus Christ. I felt like the Savior himself could have been in the room. The look on her face when I promised that was so awesome. She let our a big gasp of air like a weight was lifted off her shoulders. I testified that I know that the spirit has directed my own parents in times when I had questions or my testimony was failing. Then my companion told her that President Bagley (he is the branch president and our member present in the lesson) could give her a preisthood blessing to give her the strength she needs to over come. That was also so powerful so be in that room as she recieved her first preisthood blessing. She told us she was going to fast this sunday to know that she should be baptized on the 27th and we told her that we would join her in this fast. Then she came to church on sunday and guess what our lesson was on during Relief Society... BAPTISM. and why we need baptism to return to live with god and almost all the women in our little branch our converts and as they testified of how baptism has changed and blessed their lives forever the spirit was so strong. so so so so exciting. Miracles like this happen all the time!
Something else happened this week that has kinda been on my mind. So we ran into one of the guys from our english class walking home from work and we were talking to him about what we were up to. He was telling us that he thought it was great that we are teaching the word of god. We asked him more about his religious beliefs and he told us that hes catholic. We were asking him some questions and testified that our message would bless his life forever. And our church is the very same as the church that christ established when we was on the earth. We invited him to take  a Book of Mormon and read it. He declined. Which was a first. We asked why and he said that he didnt wanna play games and just test it out. he kept repeating the phrase "I dont wanna play games I dont wanna play games" This caused me to question why I was serving a mission. Was it just some sort of game? Was I just doing this to say I did it? Then the confirmation came to me quickly. I testified to him with the book of mormon in my hands that this is not a game to me. This is everything to me. I did not leave my family, my friends, my studies behind for a year and a half to play some game. I bore my simple testimony and we invited him to call us when we is ready to find out the truth of his message for himself.  
Everyday I am so grateful for the many opprotunites I have to testify of the truthfulness of this gospel. Every time I do my testimony is strengthened. 
hermana arruguren! Shes from Venezula and we try to visit her once a week. She calls us her angels and she is the only member in her family. She never wants us to leave. And she always wants us to take pictures with her. This week she taught us how to make colombian hot chocolate to delay our stay a little longer hahah last time she took our phone. the look on her face when we asked her were our phone was was like a 5 year old who got her hand caught in the cookie jar hahah so priceless.

HEY! church is this way (to da left to da left) it looks like we are in country town huh? so much green and no houses for quite a ways. 

my little nook! this is were studying goes down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment