MALLORY MORTENSEN

MALLORY MORTENSEN

.

.

10.19.2015

Yo me llamo le Hermana Muerense

So first bit of comic relief that I keep forgetting to tell you all about. So in this area for some reason, people really struggle with my last name. So there is a family who calls me Hermana Muerense. Which is hilarious because that means that "they die" in Spanish. It just cracks me up every time because the hermano says its so funny that is sounds like a deaf person saying Mortensen. 

This week had so many miracles. The spirit was so strong in so many lessons and we were literally lead to places that left us wondering how we even had ended up there. 
I couldnt write last Monday because we had a Passaic day of service where the top three most north zone of our mission went and basically built a sick play ground in just a day! It was super fun but we are all still BEYOND sore. I met Matt Lauer from the Today show which is cool. 
Also, fun fact. we basically nearly had a hurricane hit last weekend. We woke up on the 1st of October and it was literally like gray outside all day and freezing. Out of no where. I was so worried that the freezing weather came in like 2 months early. Then it was pouring rain and the winds were so strong it was coming at us sideways. It lasted about three days and stopped. We would come in like soaking wet. Taxis would wave us over and offer us a ride for free cause they had such pity on the two gringas but we had to turn them down hahah. 

Conference was truly amazing. We watched them all at the church except for the Saturday afternoon. We watched that with I______ (the less active from gautemala) with her son Alan who is on date for the 25th now! It was so awesome to watch that, especially with a mother present as Elder Holland talked about how and mothers love for her child is a divine love. That was so powerful. Shout out to my mom. I am certain that no one loves me as much as she does :) 

President Monson scared the day lights out of me! I was feeling faint as I was watching him near the end there and grabbing sister kramer so tight. But it goes to show that while the flesh is weak, the power of God within him is so strong that it nearly over came him. You could see it when he said to the youth of the church "YOU ARE DIFFERENT than them." We are because we have this wonderful gospel! I love all the three new apostles. I got the chills each time they spoke. I loooooved the ponderizing talk. I am doing it :) Its crazy because the question that I was pondering as I went into the conference was "how can I align my will with Gods will as I prepare to go home?" and that got answered at least 6 times. Heavenly Father is trying to make his answer very clear :) 
We were able to get in many homes of long less actives this week and how the spirit was so powerful as each one commited to come back. and how in every lesson, the plan changed to be exactly what the spirit indicated for their needs. One example of this week. Saturday night we came home and we had 10 minutes left before we had to weekly plan. I don't remember how or why but I saw a name in the directory and told sister kramer that she should call her to see if the number was still correct and to practice her Spanish. So she called and a woman answers with very good english (lucky sister kramer) sounding very skeptical. When we tell her who we are she says "oh I literally just called the elders! (it was on old number that got cut months back) "I was calling because I finally have this Sunday off and I wanted to see what time church starts" We were elated. We told her about conference and she committed to be there. then she says "when will you be coming over?" We set an appt and met her at conference the next day! The spirit was so strong as we met with her and invited her to come back. She says she knows it must be her time and that god is so aware of her because she never answers numbers she doesn't recognize, but she felt that she had to answer. 
That's just one miracle! out of many this week. 
love you all! eat some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies for me :)

hermana mortensen

No comments:

Post a Comment